Rental Policies & Procedures
RENTAL AND CANCELLATION POLICIES
Our Villas are rented on a weekly basis (seven nights) plus 12.5% hotel tax.
We may allow a 5 or 6 night stays on certain villas provided that it meets an existing reservation during off-season dates.
To secure your reservation, payment in the amount of 50% of total rental is required with a non-refundable $35 Reservation and $35 Security Deposit Waiver fee, total of $70. The balance of rental money is due 60 days prior to arrival.
Payments may be made by personal, cashiers or certified checks.
We also accept credit card payments from VISA or MasterCard for an additional 5% fee.
Last minute rentals require payment by credit card or a certified bank check, overnight mail (call for details).
Cancellation: No deposits will be refunded unless a replacement rental is obtained.
Should you be forced to cancel for any reason and a replacement rental is obtained, your deposit will be refunded less a 20% administrative fee.
Because of our strict cancellation policy, we urge you to obtain Traveler's Cancellation Insurance throughout the year.
Refunds are not granted due to weather or acts of God.
Rates are subject to change at any time. When your initial payment is received your rate is locked in.
Do not let a last minute health or weather emergency ruin your vacation.
For Travel During Hurricane Season: Traveler's cancellation insurance is strongly recommended. Traveler's insurance is highly recommended year round. Please inquire for further details.
Travel Insurance Company suggestions: Global Care 1-800-799-1017, Travel Guard 1-800-826-1300
St. John's economy is thriving and many homes and condos are being built. Construction is everywhere on island and can begin anywhere at any time. We are not responsible for construction noise and appreciate your understanding in those areas where construction exists. Typically construction begins at 7AM and ends 3:30PM.
GENERAL ST. JOHN INFORMATION
- We are a TERRITORY of the United States and our main language is English. Both the U.S.V.I and the British Virgin Islands use the U.S. dollar. Like our British neighbors, we also drive on the LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE ROAD. In order to rent a vehicle one must be 25 years old or more.
- NEARBY CONSTRUCTION and resulting noise. St. John is booming! There is construction all over the island and we can offer no guarantees that you will not hear nearby noise. The work day begins at about 7:30AM and Continues until 3:30 PM.
- PACKING: Pack light... dress here is very informal. Sport coats for men are only required at Caneel Bay resort. In your carry-on luggage pack all necessary toiletries, medications, at least one change of summer weight clothes and a bathing suit. Luggage still gets lost from time to time.
- PROVISIONING YOUR KITCHEN: We now have at least 5 well supplied grocery stores. They are all rather small, because of limited space in Cruz Bay. The prices are big because all of our goods have to go through the same process as you did to get here! We also have excellent produce stands, some GREAT delis, and several bakeries. Catered meals, provisioning and daily maid service are available at an extra charge.
ARRIVAL ON ST. THOMAS
- We can arrange PRIVATE TAXI SERVICE from the St. Thomas Airport to the Red Hook or Downtown Charlotte Amalie ferries. The cost is $100 for 1 – 4 people and $15.00 for each additional person, including luggage for 5 or more people . The driver will meet you in the terminal and will take you DIRECTLY to the next ferry. The driver will also call us, to let us know which ferry to meet, saving you from trying to make phone calls on the run.
- USING THE REGULAR TAXI SERVICE: After you have collected your luggage, look for the taxi stand just outside the baggage claim area. ASK TO BE PUT IN A TAXI WITH OTHER PEOPLE HEADED FOR ST. JOHN . JUST BEFORE YOU ARE READY TO LEAVE THE AIRPORT, PLEASE CALL YOUR PRE-ARRANGED GREETER OR CALL US AT 340-779-4070.
- IF YOUR LUGGAGE DOESN'T ARRIVE: Determine when the next flight will be. If it is a short period of time, you might want to wait for it. Otherwise, file a lost luggage claim, leaving the phone number at your rental villa, or our number (779-4070) as your contact. (Lost bags will usually be delivered to the Paris Rental Car office on St. John by the next day). Then secure a taxi, as above, and CALL US.
ARRIVAL ON ST. JOHN AND GREETING: One of our staff will be at the dock to greet you, with a CAREFREE GET-AWAYS sign. We offer one complimentary arrival greeting, per rental. Your greeter will meet the initial arriving guests at the St. John Dock, take them to their rental car and escort them to the rental villa for an orientation.. Additional greetings for later arrivals can be arranged at $55.00 per arrival, pre-paid. Check in time is 3PM. Earlier luggage drop off at the villa can be arranged for early arrivals.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Most villas are equipped with TVs, VCRs and Stereo systems that have CD players, and a phone. You might want to bring CDs&ehllip; Do bring a long distance PHONE CARD, for your long distance calls.
- Beach towels, bags and chairs as well as coolers ARE AVAILABLE. If you have SNORKEL GEAR, you may want to bring that.
- You MUST HAVE A PASSPORT OR BIRTH CERTIFICATE. Since the Virgin Islands are a FREEPORT you will need to go through CUSTOMS before returning to the States. .. Besides, you may choose to take a day trip to the BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS!
- Designated drivers should bring a VALID STATESIDE LICENSE.
- Summer clothes are appropriate, with a light jacket or wrap for those cold, breezy, winter nights at 70 - 75 degrees!
DEPARTURE: Check out time is 10AM. This is to enable maids to clean and prepare for in-coming guests (often that very afternoon!). Please follow check out procedure for the individual villa. If you have a late flight out of St. Thomas CHECK WITH US AS WE MAY BE ABLE TO LET YOU STAY LATER IN YOUR VILLA. You must take a ferry that leaves at least TWO AND A HALF HOURS BEFORE YOUR PLANE IS SCHEDULED TO DEPART. Carefree does not offer departure service. If you need assistance with transporting luggage to the St. John Dock, a taxi can be obtained.
FERRY SCHEDULES MAY VARY
FERRIES FROM CRUZ BAY TO RED HOOK: Leave ON THE HOUR from 6AM. 20 minute ferry ride plus at least 30 minute taxi ride to airport (count on 1 HOUR)
FERRIES FROM CRUZ BAY TO "DOWNTOWN" HAVE BEEN VERY UNPREDICTABLE (Waterfront Charlotte Amalie, STT) WE RECOMMEND USING THE RED HOOK FERRY.